Master of Accountancy (MAcc)
Get the Skills to Become a Leader in Accounting — and Prepare for the New CPA
Apply By: 8/12/2022
Classes Start: 8/15/2022
About the Online Master of Accountancy (MAcc) Program
In 2024, the CPA Evolution initiative will set a new standard for the accounting industry. Whether or not you’re planning on taking the CPA exam, understanding these new standards and mastering the strategies behind them will make the difference between being on the industry’s cutting edge and falling behind. With an online Master of Accountancy (MAcc) from Athens State University, you can get ahead of the industry shift through a brand-new accounting curriculum firmly rooted in the updated standards established by the upcoming CPA certification evolution.
As a MAcc student at Athens State, you’ll:
- Master the three “core” concepts outlined in the CPA Evolution initiative
- Have the opportunity to further explore strategies found in the “disciplines” of the CPA Evolution initiative
- Business analytics and reporting
- Information systems and controls
- Tax compliance and planning
You’ll also experience a practical, cutting-edge education that provides you with access to the latest accounting software so you can get hands-on experience under the guidance of seasoned industry professionals. We’ll make sure you develop the skills every modern accountant needs, from data analysis and visualization to corporate communications.
Whether they intend to sit for the CPA, CMA, or any other industry certification, passionate accounting professionals like you come to Athens State for their MAcc degree because we know what they need to become the accounting professionals of tomorrow, today. How will you use your degree to become an accounting leader? We can’t wait to find out.
What You’ll Learn in the Online MAcc
The online MAcc will transform you into a next-generation accounting professional equipped to leverage new software and technologies to be a more effective financial decision-maker. As an online MAcc student, you’ll:
- Gain hands-on experience with the latest analytic software that will help you make data-driven financial decisions
- Have the opportunity to explore more specific fields within accounting, like government contract accounting or internal auditing
- Develop leadership, management, and communication skills that will help you advance to management roles in your career
- Master the core concepts and explore the new disciplines featured in the CPA Evolution
Cost per credit for the online Master of Accountancy program is just $348 plus fees.
Athens State boasts one of the most affordable tuition rates among state universities in Alabama and Tennessee.
Athens State offers a flexible tuition payment plan that works with your budget.
Support You Can Count On
83% of Athens State alumni are employed following graduation — outperforming average national employment rates.*
The vast majority of faculty members at Athens State have extensive industry experience — or are currently still engaged in their field — and joined academia with the goal of sharing their expertise to help students succeed.
Our small class sizes — typically around 18 students — and highly engaged, accessible faculty provide a more personalized learning experience.
Because our tuition is affordable, our alumni typically recover the costs of their education within six years of graduation.*
The MAcc is available online, so you can balance your coursework with your work and family responsibilities, studying where and when makes sense for you.
Founded in 1822, Athens State University is the oldest continuously operating institution of higher education in Alabama, with 200 years of academic excellence.
*according to a 2019-20 Alabama economic impact study by Emsi Burning Glass
How to Apply
Students seeking admission to the Master of Accountancy must have:
- An earned bachelor’s degree from an institution accredited by an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, preferably in accounting
- A minimum 3.0 cumulative transfer GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Students with undergraduate degrees in other areas are encouraged to apply but must complete the following accounting prerequisites or the equivalents:
- Intermediate Accounting I
- Intermediate Accounting II
- Federal Tax Accounting I
- Cost or Managerial Accounting
- Intermediate Accounting I
Have questions about the eligibility of your transfer credits? Feel free to reach out to our admissions team at email@example.com or (256)233-8130.
Grow in Your Career With the MAcc
The need for accountants is growing, with the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projecting a 7% growth in accountant jobs between 2020 and 2030. Athens State’s MAcc will help prepare you for jobs such as*:
Median Annual Salary: Around $75,300
Director of Accounting
Median Annual Salary: Around $123,200
Chief Financial Officer
Median Annual Salary: Around $139,500
Senior Audit Manager
Median Annual Salary: Around $125,200
Senior Financial Analyst
Median Annual Salary: Around $82,900
*Salary figures provided by PayScale
Ranked as a Top 5 online college in Alabama
Business Degree Central
Ranked #4 — “2021 Best Accounting Schools in Alabama”
Ranked #10 nationwide — “2020 Most Affordable Online Colleges for Accounting Degrees”