Master of Arts in Religious Studies
We Understand Where You’ve Been. We’ll Help You Get Where You Want to Go.
Apply By: 4/19/2021
About the Online MA in Religious Studies
The field of religious studies isn’t reserved for those dedicated to a specific belief system. It can open your mind to new cultures and give you insight into human behaviors. Athens State University’s online Master of Arts in Religious Studies is a nondenominational degree that promotes the objective critical analysis of world religions in a neutral setting.
What You’ll Learn
Students in this online program broaden their perspective on the basic tenets of religion while comparing major world religions and their beliefs. They gain a deeper understanding of:
- The historical development of religion
- The cultural significance of religion
- Religious orientation’s relation to society
The cost per credit varies by state and degree modality.
Athens State boasts one of the most affordable tuition rates in Alabama and Tennessee.
Athens State offers a flexible tuition payment plan that works with your budget.
Online Tuition, In-State or Out-of-State:
$325 per credit hour
Support You Can Count On
80% of Athens State alumni are employed in Alabama within one year after graduating.
98% of faculty members from Athens State’s College of Business have industry experience and joined academia with the goal of sharing their expertise to help students succeed.
Small class sizes — typically around 18 students — deliver a personalized learning experience.
Athens State is the most affordable state school in Alabama and Tennessee.
Our online graduate degrees are designed with flexibility at the forefront, so students can balance their studies with their busy lives.
Founded in 1822, Athens State University is the oldest continuously operating institution of higher education in Alabama, with almost 200 years of academic excellence.
How to Apply
To be considered for admission to the online MA in Religious Studies program, prospective students must:
- Complete an application for graduate admission and submit all official transcripts
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Submit official test scores required by the particular program (e.g., GMAT, GRE, or MAT)
- Submit all additional documents required by the program, noted in the application
- Meet all published deadlines for submitting application materials
Prospective students who earned a bachelor’s degree with a GPA below 3.0 but above 2.5 may be eligible for conditional admission. Contact an admissions advisor for more details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Religious Studies Careers
A religious studies master’s will prepare you for a variety of careers in everything from church leadership to social work and work with nonprofits. The program will also prepare you for Ph.D. work in religious studies.
- Pastoral leadership
- Children, youth, and adult education
- Teaching and/or research
- Social work
- Nonprofit and community service